Lewis and Clark Native Plant Garden
The Lewis and Clark Native Plant Garden opened in May 2006, commemorating the bicentennial of the Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804-1806).
The objective of this garden is to display a selection of plants that were collected during the expedition, with a specific focus on the 145 species collected between Great Falls, Montana and The Dalles, Oregon. A series of interpretive signs inform visitors about the significance of the expedition and how Native Americans contributed to its success. Ethnobotanical uses of the plants are also highlighted.
Designed by Don Brigham Plus Associates, the Lewis and Clark garden is organized into four zones – Canyon, Prairie, Mountain, and Wetland. Each zone presents plants and other features that are characteristic of their respective ecological communities. The Gathering Place, which is located at the entrance of the garden, features a green roof planted with a selection of native forbs and grasses. The design of the Gathering Place was influenced by Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello and Native American kivas.