The Garden provides enriching garden experiences through educational programs, botanical collections, a variety of entertainment, cultural and community events. It is also a refreshing and inspiring year-round outdoor destination for local residents and out-of-town visitors.
Nestled at the base of the Boise Foothills, the Idaho Botanical Garden offers a beautiful location to host weddings, celebrate birthdays and hold private events. Each year, the Garden invites the community to a variety of events that highlight the Garden through music, art, and seasonal celebrations.
Seasonal and permanent positions are always changing and updated regularly. Check back regularly for opportunities to become a part of the team that helps to make, and keep, the Garden such a special part of our community.
Job Title: Garden Teacher
Supervisor: Youth Education Coordinator
Employee Status: Non-exempt, temporary, part-time
Pay Rate: $7.50-14.00
Assigned Work Location: Garden
The Garden Teacher assists the Youth Education Coordinator to deliver the Idaho Botanical Garden’s Youth Education programs. The position develops lessons plans and implements educational programming for children, leads field trip tours in the garden for all ages, and prepares all tour materials.
- Areas of Responsibility/Essential Duties:
- Lead field trip tours program
- Set up and take down tour materials
- Prepare tour materials
- Work with Youth Education Coordinator to improve tour program
- Work with the Youth Education Coordinator to create themed lessons for five weeks of Nature Camp
- Submit lesson plans and supply lists to Youth Education Coordinator
- Teach Nature Camp
- Supervise Camp Aides
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Training:
- Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Experience working with groups of children
- Flexibility and the ability to make quick decisions
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work with others as a team
- Self-motivation and creativity
Education and Experience
- A. or B.S. in biology related field preferred
It is understood that this job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by the Garden Teacher within this job, but this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Email cover letter and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3/6/18
We are offering 100 hour internships for individuals pursuing a career in horticulture – three interns in the spring season (March 1st – May 1st), and three interns for the summer season (May 15th – August 15th). These four specialty internships for individuals that would like to focus on a particular aspect of horticulture include:
• Collections & Greenhouse Internship: Follow our “living collections” from seed to signage! This internship will offer a deeper understanding of the processes of curation, propagation and nursery/greenhouse management. Download Internship Information
• Ornamental Horticulture Internship: What does it take to maintain stunning ornamental gardens? Gain valuable experience under knowledgeable staff on topics from perennial plant care, landscape design, to annual display creation. Download Internship Information
• Native & Waterwise Internship: Dive into the world of Idaho native gardening, xeriscaping, and much more! This internship is focused on the unique care of Idaho and Intermountain native plants, and dry-tolerant species. Download Internship Information
• Vegetable Garden Internship: This internship offers insight into urban agriculture production and a 1.5 acre garden used extensively for adult and child education, connecting visitors to plants through an essential part of everyone’s life — food! Download Internship Information
For individuals without a specialized career direction:
• General Horticulture: Gain diverse skills and knowledge as a General Horticulture Intern! This internship provides a broad range of training through our ornamental, edible, native and waterwise gardens, and our Integrated Pest Management and collections programs. Download Internship Information