The Garden provides enriching garden experiences through educational programs, botanical collections, a variety of entertainment, cultural and community events. It is also a refreshing and inspiring year-round outdoor destination for local residents and out-of-town visitors.
Nestled at the base of the Boise Foothills, the Idaho Botanical Garden offers a beautiful location to host weddings, celebrate birthdays and hold private events. Each year, the Garden invites the community to a variety of events that highlight the Garden through music, art, and seasonal celebrations.
Seasonal and permanent positions are always changing and updated regularly. Check back regularly for opportunities to become a part of the team that helps to make, and keep, the Garden such a special part of our community.
Membership Sales Associate
Department: Visitor Services
Job Title: Membership Sales Associate
Supervisor: Visitor Services Coordinator
Employee Status: Non-exempt, Seasonal, F/T or P/T
Salary: $7.25 hour – DOE
The Membership Sales Associate serves as the first point of contact between the Idaho Botanical Garden and its patrons. As such, it is imperative that the ideal candidate be outgoing, warm, friendly, flexible, dependable, hardworking and display exceptional communication skills. The position is a seasonal position, running March 13th through November 15th with the opportunity for additional hours through the beginning of January. The position requires some holidays be worked with primary hours ranging from 8:30 a.m. to as late as 8 p.m. on specified evenings. The primary role of the Membership Sales Associate will be processing admissions into the Garden in the admission kiosk and at the admin office front desk while conveying the benefits of Garden membership to each patron. With each customer interaction there is an expectation that the associate will help to further educate Garden patrons on the many benefits of membership. The primary objective of the associate will focus around selling new memberships from the admission kiosk/front desk/Garden store areas. Additional duties include checking in field trip and tour groups, answering a multi-line phone system and assisting in over the phone ticket sales, answering questions about the Garden and its programs and other miscellaneous office duties, as need arises. At the end of each day, the associate will be responsible for closing down the admission kiosk or front office till, following outlined closing procedures and ensuring balancing accuracy in each daily deposit. Shifts will be split between the admission kiosk, the front desk of the administration office, and the Garden Store located in the Garden. Additionally, although rare, the associate will have the skills and tools necessary to empower them to mitigate any guest concerns or issues, taking the initiative to make decisions that are in the Garden’s best interest.
Areas of Responsibility:
General Garden Responsibilities:
- Engage each Garden patron, clearly and succinctly conveying the benefits of Garden membership
- Process new memberships acquired from kiosk and front desk in membership database
- An understanding of the workings and locations of the different areas within the Garden to be able to accurately answer customers’ questions, being able to give guidance and instruction
- Maintain a customer service oriented approach at the kiosk area, ensuring a welcoming and inviting atmosphere
- Keep a tidy, organized work area
- Assist in general Garden office operations as needed (answering phones, taking new and renewing membership payments, help with large mailings, taking event ticket orders, etc.)
- Monitor the Garden admission area and collect general admission dues to the Garden while being sure to show the multiple benefits of Garden membership to each patron
- When necessary, assists the education staff by helping create proper signage for education classes, events, special events, weddings, etc.
- Retail sales and assisting with inventory in the Garden Store
- Open and close cash drawer accurately, reconciling with the Altru sales system
- Other duties, as assigned
Garden Event Responsibilities:
- Quickly and accurately processing admission payments into the Garden
- Follow event procedures and protocols, adopting a solution-oriented approach at all times
- Work in tandem with Garden event staff to ensure a smooth and seamless patron experience
- Maintain a welcoming, happy demeanor, even during peak times with large crowds and lines
- Responsible for welcoming, training and assisting Garden volunteers
- Ensure a positive interaction with all others in the admissions area
- Other duties, as assigned
Required Skills, Knowledge and Training:
- Previous cash handling experience
- Ability to learn new programs/systems quickly
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Office products
- Ability to multitask
- Accuracy in cash handling
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to adapt to challenges and opportunities with a solution-oriented perspective
- Ability to work in all types of weather
- Ability to train and supervise Garden volunteers
- Valid Idaho Driver’s License and clean driving record
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Previous customer service/cash handling experience preferred
- Ability to lift at least 35 lbs.
- Ability to work and be comfortable in all types of weather
- Ability to walk across various types of terrain found throughout the Garden
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to proficiently perform the essential functions of the position.
If interested in the position, please send a copy of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Job Title: Garden Teacher
Supervisor: Youth Education Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, part-time
Hours: April – October, up to 30 hours/week, 400 – 500 hours/yr.
This position assists the Youth Education Coordinator to deliver the Idaho Botanical Garden’s Youth Education programs. The Garden Teacher must be able to work Monday-Friday from 9:00am -2:30pm in April, May, September & October and Monday-Friday from 8:30am -12:30pm in July & August.
Areas of Responsibility
- Lead field trip tours program
- Set up and take down tour materials
- Prepare tour materials
- Work with Youth Education Coordinator to improve tour program
- Develop themed lessons for and teach Nature Camp, 5 weeks in July & August
- Assist with June pre-school program
- Deliver off-site Garden On The Road program
- Teach for new youth programs as they are implemented
Others Tasks as needed including, but not limited to,
- Attending trainings and meetings
Skills, Knowledge & Training
- Experience working with groups of children
- A. or B.S. in biology related field preferred
- Good working knowledge of horticulture helpful.
- A sense of humor
- Flexibility and the ability to make quick decisions
- Good interpersonal skills & ability to work with others as a team
- Self-motivation and creativity
- Tolerance of and patience with children.
- Clothes should be clean and mended
- Closed toed shoes required
- Shirt shoulder straps should be at least a half-inch wide
- Minimal, or no, bare chest or cleavage should be visible either while standing or bent over.
- Shorts should be at least fingertip length.
- Sunglasses should not be worn while leading programs
To Apply: send cover letter and resume to Elizabeth Dickey, Idaho Botanical Garden 2355 Old Penitentiary Road, Boise, ID 83712, fax: 208-343-3601, or firstname.lastname@example.org