The Garden provides enriching garden experiences through educational programs, botanical collections, a variety of entertainment, cultural and community events. It is also a refreshing and inspiring year-round outdoor destination for local residents and out-of-town visitors.
Nestled at the base of the Boise Foothills, the Idaho Botanical Garden offers a beautiful location to host weddings, celebrate birthdays and hold private events. Each year, the Garden invites the community to a variety of events that highlight the Garden through music, art, and seasonal celebrations.
Seasonal and permanent positions are always changing and updated regularly. Check back regularly for opportunities to become a part of the team that helps to make, and keep, the Garden such a special part of our community.
Winter Garden aGlow Kiosk Attendant
Department: Visitor Services
Job Title: Winter Garden aGlow Kiosk Attendant
Supervisor: Visitor Services Coordinator
Employee Status: Part time, temporary, non-exempt
Salary: $7.25 hour – DOE
The kiosk attendant is one of the first contacts a visitor has at the nightly event, Winter Garden aGlow at the Idaho Botanical Garden. The kiosk attendant will work two to five nights a week November 24, 2016 – January 1, 2017, approximately 4-5 hours a shift. Some holidays will be required. The kiosk attendant will work with Garden staff to create a smooth and successful event. S/he will also help the Event Coordinator train and supervise a variety of volunteers each night to perform specific admission tasks. Throughout the night they are responsible for processing admission transactions, maintaining financial accuracy and control of admissions, and answering questions about the Garden and the event. When problems arise, the kiosk attendant will problem solve with Garden Staff and keep a cool and confident demeanor with guest and volunteers. At the close of the event, the kiosk attendant will be responsible for closing the admissions kiosks, following financial counting and tracking procedures and helping to direct volunteers in closing procedures.
Winter Garden aGlow is a family event that features the Idaho Botanical Garden glowing with over 300,000 lights. We welcome guests Thanksgiving Day, November 24 through January 1, open all holidays. The Garden offers complementary hot chocolate, cider, and cookies each night. Our Garden Store will also be open nightly to guests. In addition, the Garden provides two spaces for corporate and private holiday parties. There are a variety of vendors who add to this event. Select nights vendors will be on hand to sell food and beverage. On December weekends, children will be able to visit with Santa and his reindeer Prancer. On the plaza guests will be treated to the voice of young and old as local choirs perform Christmas classics. This event welcomes over 50,000 people in 40 days and is a key fundraiser for the Garden.
- Experience using a cash register
- Ability to follow financial procedures and money handling with accuracy
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Ability to supervise volunteers
- Comfortable working with a variety of personality types including garden staff, volunteers, and customers
- In the face of difficulty or an issue, ability to keep a cool demeanor and problem solve.
- Ability to prioritize, problem solve, and delegate with the entire event in mind
- Ability to work in various weather conditions such as extreme cold, snow, or rain.
- Valid Driver License
- Team player
The ideal candidate will have:
- Customer Service/Cash Handling Experience
To apply please submit a resume to email@example.com by November 4, 2016.
Selected applicants will be contacted for interviews to be held November 7– 11, 2016. Please do not call.
Job Title: Garden Teacher
Supervisor: Youth Education Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, part-time
Hours: April – October, up to 30 hours/week, 400 – 500 hours/yr.
This position assists the Youth Education Coordinator to deliver the Idaho Botanical Garden’s Youth Education programs. The Garden Teacher must be able to work Monday-Friday from 9:00am -2:30pm in April, May, September & October and Monday-Friday from 8:30am -12:30pm in July & August.
Areas of Responsibility
- Lead field trip tours program
- Set up and take down tour materials
- Prepare tour materials
- Work with Youth Education Coordinator to improve tour program
- Develop themed lessons for and teach Nature Camp, 5 weeks in July & August
- Assist with June pre-school program
- Deliver off-site Garden On The Road program
- Teach for new youth programs as they are implemented
Others Tasks as needed including, but not limited to,
- Attending trainings and meetings
Skills, Knowledge & Training
- Experience working with groups of children
- A. or B.S. in biology related field preferred
- Good working knowledge of horticulture helpful.
- A sense of humor
- Flexibility and the ability to make quick decisions
- Good interpersonal skills & ability to work with others as a team
- Self-motivation and creativity
- Tolerance of and patience with children.
- Clothes should be clean and mended
- Closed toed shoes required
- Shirt shoulder straps should be at least a half-inch wide
- Minimal, or no, bare chest or cleavage should be visible either while standing or bent over.
- Shorts should be at least fingertip length.
- Sunglasses should not be worn while leading programs
To Apply: send cover letter and resume to Elizabeth Dickey, Idaho Botanical Garden 2355 Old Penitentiary Road, Boise, ID 83712, fax: 208-343-3601, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Visitor Services Coordinator
Department: Administrative Office/ Visitor Services
Job Title: Visitor Services Coordinator
Supervisor: Executive Director
Employee Status: Non-exempt, permanent, full-time
Pay Rate: $12 – DOE
The Visitor Services Coordinator is an asset to the Garden. The main duties include managing daily cash deposits and revenue reporting, overseeing the IBG Box Office, assisting with phone orders and ticket sales, and supervising the seasonal Membership Associates team. The Visitor Services Coordinator also maintains relationships with other businesses, processes daily mail and ensures front office organization, including file organization and retention.
Areas of Responsibility
- Daily oversight of front desk cash drawer & kiosk opening banks
- Daily revenue reporting, deposit review and prep
- Oversees management of box office at IBG
- Manages seasonal kiosk/store/office support staff including scheduling, provide training, keeping labor costs within specified annual budget
- Assist in phone ticket orders and membership sales as well as general inquiries
- Responsible for Administration office supply inventory and ordering
- Ensure front office organization and cleanliness including file management and retention
- Processes daily mail and provides A/P assistance
- Resolves customer complaints & completes refunds
- Supports staff: education, event, membership, horticulture, administrative
- Keep admission prices and hours listings up to date and current
- Plan and coordinate admission processes and staffing for Garden Events
- Work closely with Administration office vendors (phone, merchant services provider, etc.)
- Other duties as Assigned
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Training:
- Excellent skills in: customer service, money handling, attention to detail, problem solving
- Above average skills in: office management & administration
- Demonstrated ability to: plan & implement policies
- Demonstrated ability to: write & communicate plans & event details
- General knowledge of: non-profit organizations
- Experience in: office related field
- Other: event planning
Education and Experience
- Degree or equivalent experience: 4 year bachelor’s degree preferable but not required
- 2 plus years of experience preferable but not required
- Non-profit organization administration or office management
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job: Lift 35- 40 pounds, ability to work in all types of weather.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to Erin Anderson at Erin@idahobotanicalgarden.org. Deadline: October 24, 2016.