Director of Events
Job Title: Director of Events
Supervisor: Garden Executive Director
Employee Status: Exempt, Professional, Full Time
The Idaho Botanical Garden Director of Events is responsible for all areas of event management and guest experiences. The Director of Events works within a team and with key leaders to manage event details from conception to completion, secure sponsorship, recruit partners, merchant vendors, entertainment and service providers. The Director of Events is responsible for generating revenue through garden programs, sponsorships and effective budget management.
Areas of Responsibility
- Build strong internal and external relationships; including staff, volunteers, board of directors, donors, sponsors, partners, media, and the business community.
- Co-chair visitor services / events review committee
- Works collaboratively with key Garden staff to ensure cohesive production of guest experiences.
- Manage all aspects of event logistics planning and implementation for Garden events.
- Hire, train and supervise event staff ensuring Garden policies are enforced and customer service standards are upheld.
- Create and manage event budgets, maintain accuracy and accountability of event budget
- Create and manage event timelines and deliverables for all components of Garden events
- Manage event implementation including production schedules, set-up, and tear-down – with the ability to clearly communicate event plan to staff, vendors, and volunteers.
- Manage upkeep of event calendars for staff and Old Penitentiary Historic District communication using event management software, Caterease, and Google calendars
- Negotiate contracts with vendors, partners, corporate sponsors, entertainment, equipment and professional services.
- Write master event specification documents and distribute to vendors to ensure accurate delivery of contracted services.
- Work with Garden partners to ensure that all Garden guests engage quality programming.
- Develop corporate sponsor program, and solicit event sponsors and partners
- Ensure sponsorship relationships are supported and agreements fulfilled
- Assist in building corporate memberships and assist with fundraising efforts
- Analyze partner relationships, and create new streams of revenue through joint sponsorship and marketing opportunities
Manage all aspects of outreach efforts associated with events including:
- Write copy and details for event communication/collateral pieces
- Manage designer to ensure timely delivery of all event promotions and marketing collateral.
- Assist with detailed updates for marketing communications including website, newsletters, and media.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Training:
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in event planning
- Must have the ability to prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced, multi-faceted, creative environment and must be able to work well under pressure.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and public relations
- Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- Exceptional organizational and diplomacy skills
- Solid decision-making skills and sound judgment
- Ability to adapt to challenges and opportunities with a solution-oriented perspective.
- Demonstrated ability of managing multiple stakeholders
- Computer proficiency essential; strong understanding of Microsoft Office
- Flexibility in schedule, working some evenings and weekends
- Must have access to an automobile as local travel is required. Knowledge of surrounding communities is a plus
Education and Experience
- BA/BS, preferably in Communications, Public Relations, or related field
- Sales or business development experience a plus
- High degree of comfort with online fundraising tools, the benefits of social media
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, In-design, or photography a plus.
How to apply:
Please send your resume with cover letter and at least 3 professional references to Executive Director Christine Wiersema at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will close on October 31, 2014.