The Garden provides enriching garden experiences through educational programs, botanical collections, a variety of entertainment, cultural and community events. It is also a refreshing and inspiring year-round outdoor destination for local residents and out-of-town visitors.
Nestled at the base of the Boise Foothills, the Idaho Botanical Garden offers a beautiful location to host weddings, celebrate birthdays and hold private events. Each year, the Garden invites the community to a variety of events that highlight the Garden through music, art, and seasonal celebrations.
Seasonal and permanent positions are always changing and updated regularly. Check back regularly for opportunities to become a part of the team that helps to make, and keep, the Garden such a special part of our community.
Youth Education Coordinator
Job Title: Youth Education Coordinator
Supervisor: Education and Visitor Engagement Director
Employee Status: Non-exempt, permanent, full-time (35 hours/week)
Pay Rate: $12.00-14.00
Assigned Work Location: Admin Office
The Youth Education Coordinator is responsible for the management and delivery of youth education programming. The Youth Education Coordinator works with the Education and Visitor Engagement Director to manage details of the youth education program from conception to completion, supervises the Garden Teachers, Camp Teachers and Camp Aides, teaches as needed, and is available to help support other Garden functions.
Areas of Responsibility/Essential Duties:
- Design lesson plans
- Train, manage and schedule Garden Teachers
- Work with Garden Teachers to deliver programs
- Ensure supplies are available
- Set up and take down education materials
- Lead Garden tours
- Create new programs and improve/update existing ones
- Work with Education and Visitor Engagement Director to hire garden teachers and camp staff
- Gather camp teacher materials
- Train camp teachers and aides at each camp and act as camp coordinator
- Support camp teachers as needed
Marketing Youth Education programs:
- Work with graphic designers to create marketing materials for the Youth Education Programs and arrange for printing and mailing
Other Tasks as Needed including, but not limited to:
- Take reservations for all youth programs
- Enter programs into data base
- Send confirmation letters
- Create new programs
- Work on programs that are in the development/funding phase
- Write newsletter articles
- Work at other special Garden events
- Prepare Education building as needed for education programs
- Represent IBG at offsite fairs such as school science nights
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Training:
- Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Experience working with groups of children
- Flexibility and the ability to make quick decisions
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work with others as a team
- Self-motivation and creativity
Education and Experience
- A. or B.S. in biology-related field
- Training in interpretation, such as leading tours and developing public programs, desired
- Good working knowledge of horticulture
It is understood that this job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by the Youth Education Coordinator within this job, but this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
To Apply: Email cover letter and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, January 30.